Monday, April 09, 2007

The BAMA Rule

The BAMA Rule, otherwise known as the "Buccal Object Rule". It's something you learn in radiology. There is only one school that calls this method of determining the location of objects on and X-Ray the BAMA rule, of course it's the University of Alabama School of Dentistry. It's much easier to remember if you think BAMA (Buccal Always Moves Away).

If you have an object on a radiograph that you really can't tell whether it is in front of or behind another object (buccal or lingual), you can take another x-ray from a different position to determine if the object moves in relation to surrounding objects. If you move the beam at an angle comming more from the right and the object seems to move away to the left, then the object in question is to the buccal. Buccal Always Moves Away (BAMA).

Here is a link to an article that explains in more detail: BAMA Rule

3 comments:

Marcela Madrid said...

Hello, I´m a pediatric dentist from Medellín Colombia. I like your blog, and I think it´s really interesting and friendly.

I love our profession, here in my country there are several good Universities to study dentistry and pediatric dentistry. I studied in Universidad CES Medellin, and in Universidad javeriana Bogotá.

I never thought to write a blog about this profession, but I have a blog about a beautiful place in this country. colombiapacifica.blogspot.com

Marcela Madrid, Medellín Colombia

Dr. Dean Brandon said...

When in my residency, there were other residents from countries such as Venezuela. A year ahead of me there was a prosthodontics resident from Colombia. Small world. I a pleased you enjoy the blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am Dental Surgeon and was browsing through different Dentistry related subjects when I chanced upon your blog and I agree with you, BAMA is much more simpler to remember!
Keep up the good work!
Dr. Mehreen